Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Apples with marjoram

This is my favorite side dish: caramelized onions, sautéed apples, all covered in marjoram and lightly salted. My mom always made it for liver dishes; I always hated liver and ate apples only. Today I make them to eat with baked dishes and casseroles or root vegetables; they go well with beans.
I use sour apples and big, juicy onions.


Apples with marjoram, serves 4


1 kg apples
2 big onions (there should be about 1 cup of diced  raw onion)
4 tablespoons dried marjoram
olive oil ( I use it for the taste, the most common option is sunflower or rapeseed oil)
a pinch of crushed allspice and some salt

First, dice the onion and cut peeled apples in cubes. Heat the oil you use on a pan and add marjoram and allspice; stir and add the onions. When translucent, add the apples and stir to cover them in herbs. Sprinkle with salt, wait till they start to pour out their juice and cover, so they steam in low heat (you may add some water to start). Sauté until tender, uncover and let the juice evaporate. Serve warm as a side dish to a savory, salty meal.


I'm having trouble with the photo, so I'll try adding it later, from another computer.

2 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

This sounds so delicious! Who'd have thought of putting onions and apples together? Well - your mum obviously.
:)

Candy Beans said...

Wow this sounds like nothing I've ever had. I really want to give it a try. Thanks!