Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tomato soup, twice

This would be my last MoFo post - didn't make it to 15 recipes this time, but at least I dared to try:) This time I've got two tomato soup recipes, one classic and one mine: quick and spicy.

Tomato soup is omnipresent in polish houses: this would be the most popular soup too. Everybody makes it and there are various kinds that people swear to be the only original ones: the basic questions is, do you use pasta or rice? Then: sweet or salty? white (=with sour cream) or not? Parsley on top? 
This is my family recipe, with rice, not sweet (I never really understood how people can add sugar to a soup with a carrot cooked in broth in it!) and without sour cream, with parsley on top. Enjoy!

Classic Tomato soup for 6 people

veggie broth, 2 l
2 medium carrots
a quarter celeriac root
 one parsley root (save the leaves)
 one medium leek
3-4 allspice berries
1-2 bay leaf
5-6 big ripe tomatoes
a big handful of rice
salt

Boil the broth and cook whole carrots, celeriac, parsley and chopped leek in it with allspice and bay leaf. In a separate pan cook peeled tomatoes until they fall apart and blend. Take out of broth all the veggies except a carrot and discard (=eat apart if you like it). Mix in the tomato puree and boil again; when boiling add rice and salt to taste. The soup is ready when the rice is cooked.



Now my fast food version. I especially enjoy making it at eleven PM when you're not supposed to eat anything, but you're hungry anyway and maybe a little cold too. Great to warm up in a snowy day (do you have snow yet? Too much in here)
1 cup tomato puree
1 cup veggie broth
2 spoons olive oil
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1 teaspoon powdered sweet chili
1 handful of tiny, quick-cooking pasta
salt and pepper to taste (I use cayenne pepper for better kick)

Boil the broth, add tomato puree and olive oil and boil for 5 minutes. Add spices to taste and pasta; the soup is ready when pasta's ready. Simple and so good.


I'm really glad I started this blog again and that I participated in MoFo. I promise to not disappear next month and show you some delicious Christmas recipes.

4 comments:

J said...

Looks like a great recipe, especially the "fast food" version; I will be sure to try it sometime. :)

BunzOfCinnamon said...

Yes, please don't disappear! I'd love to read more about Polish vegan recipes!!

Exploration said...

I'll be trying the longer recipe as it seems perfect for the winter months!
Love Polish food! mmmm.. :)

m4rk0 said...

We hope you haven't abandoned the blog!