Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vegan MoFo reactivation! drozdzowki


I'm not really good in keeping promises. I try. Sometimes it doesn't work.

I was thinking about reactivating this blog and decided that this year's MoFo is the best motivation for me. My goal was to post at least 15 recipes and blog every day  - we'll see how it's gonna work:) I failed with yesterday's post because All Saints is a big holiday in Poland, people come to cemeteries to decorate the graves, meet with family and take a traditional walk in the dark to see all that beautiful lights. Between a family dinner and  typical holiday rush I just had no time to write my recipe.

And it's really good - drożdżówki are baked good eaten as a brunch snack at school, work, etc. Nobody actually makes them at home, but vegans, obviously, make everything:) It's basically a sweet yeast pastry, like a roll, with filling inside and some crumbles on top. There are many kinds - without crumbles, with jam, budyń (something like custard), fruits, but my favorite are filled with cheese and totally covered with crumbles and that is what we're gonna bake.



I made those  using live active yeast, but since I know that the rest of the world is using dry, I changed the recipe. Also, the most important thing is that all the ingredients are in the same temperature - lightly warm. Makes 4 big rolls.

DOUGH
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
half cup + 3 tablespoons sugar
1.5 cup soymilk
2 cups flour
1/4 cup melted vegan butter
some vanilla extract
a pinch of salt

First mix in a small bowl the milk, yeast and 3 tablespoons of sugar and make sure it all dissolves. Then add vegan butter and mix. Finally add the rest of the ingredients and form the dough; let it sit in a warm place till it doubles (about 20 minutes). When it rises, sprinkle the dough and your hands with flour and form 4 rolls, flatten them on a greased sheet (so they look like overdosed fluffy pancakes) and make a hole in the middle. 

FILLING
100 g plain tofu (I used firm, since it's the only one I can buy, but I think silken would work great)
1 tablespoon soy creamer
2 tablespoons sugar
juice from half lemon
vanilla extract

Just blend it together till creamy. It should hold together well and be rolled into balls easily. Make 4 balls, flatten them a bit and place in holes you made in the rolls.

CRUMBLES
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup vegan butter, chilled

My mom (who gave me the recipe) always makes crumbles in the same bowl she used for rising yeast dough, unwashed: the rest of the yeast find their way into crumbles and make them lighter and less eager to sink in cake while baking. Anyway, form big crumbles from these ingredients and sprinkle generously over our almost made cakes. Let them sit in a warm place while you preheat oven to 200C (400 F) and bake for 30 minutes, until golden. Mine are slightly overbaked.

I hope you enjoy this too sweet and honestly not healthy breakfast treat:)

4 comments:

MeShell said...

Mmmm! Sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to the rest of your posts.

olga spaceage said...

w pytke bułeczki!
awsome drożdżówki, I can't wait for upcoming posts! (żeby tak międzynarodow było :)

Anonymous said...

Those sound lovely. :)

Ingrid said...

This is fantastic!